Sunday, February 5, 2023

My College Life at Visayas State University Tolosa

 

College life is no easy journey to walk through, that’s for sure. And mine is a little too dramatic than that. Imagine being enrolled in one of the most outstanding and globally competitive schools in the Philippines? Isn’t it a little too overwhelming? However, I have to do an affirmation that my commitment to continue in college is irrevocable. Since online learning has ended, me and my husband had to sit and talk in-depth together concerning what would be our plans to my studies, to our kids. Should I pursue what I’ve started even if it means being apart from my kids for the very first time? Or should I quit for the second time, and focus my time and attention with my kids instead? My hesitations came back, I kept on asking myself, isn’t it the right thing to do? What if I fail? What if something happens to my children because of my absence? I had to be very particular in decision-making this time because once something happens which is not part of our plan, everything will fall down all at once, including my dreams for my family. But, I ended up packing things to move into my dormitory just nearby VSU Tolosa. My husband allowed me to stay in the dormitory for it is more expensive if I will commute everyday and that would be exhausting too. I have to take 3 rides every day, from our house to Dagami proper with a 50-peso fair, from Dagami proper to Tanauan with a 40-peso fair, then from Tanauan to Tolosa with a 30-peso fair, and that would be 240 pesos for a back and forth travel per day. Actually, I tried to commute for I guess 3 days, and almost all of my husband’s salary for a week were all spent for me.

I had a hard time falling asleep every night during my first 1-2 weeks in the dorm. Why not? it’s my first to sleep alone far from family. I cried for how many nights and attended my classes with swollen eyes. I can’t buy delicious and expensive viands thinking that my children would have just eaten plain and tasteless meals. Also, I have to do a very meticulous budgeting for my allowance to reach Fridays. And I have to restrict my self from the VSU cafeteria because I don’t want the smell of the air there. I can’t take the savory smell coming from the kitchen. I may salivate badly. And it’s a good thing also that my classmates are not that extravagant when it comes to food, they are yet pennywise. I am thankful that almost all of my classmates are full grown individuals already, and we really get along together. I am comfortable with them and they treat me as “Ate” or “Nanay” in our block. At least it lightens my struggles knowing that I am not an outcast in our class. Furthermore, I am feeling the pressure of being an old curriculum student back then, I can’t relate some of the lessons that appeared to be just a recap from the lesson in Senior High School only. Computer literacy was also one of my greatest weakness and I had a hard time utilizing these various social media platforms, software, and applications software to complete and submit a task. I had to learn on how to use these modern technologies because whether I like it or not, it is part of the modern educational paradigm, unlike before during my high school days that it was just pencil-paper mode of learning.

With my rigorous attempt to learn these technological advancements, and with the aid of my classmates that served as my scaffolding, I was finally started to learn how to use an application such as powerpoint presentation, canva, capcut, etc. I was introduced to social media platforms like googlemeet and google classroom and all. This modern learning fascinates me a lot. Education really have come a long way now, it is way modestly further from what I experienced during my high school days way back in 2000. Indeed, technology makes our learning in VSU Tolosa more exciting as we do the compliance in the 21st century learning environment. Visayas State University would surely a rocky-road ride in my next 2-year rides left as BEEd Student. But, I am optimistic enough to think that after 2 years, me and classmates will walk altogether in the aisle towards the stage, grasping the token of our endeavor- our DIPLOMA.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

On Becoming a Teacher

  Becoming a teacher was not really my ambition back then. Though I love being in front of audiences, I was not seeing myself talking and in...